Today was a bit of a crazy day. I woke up a bit later than normal and had to eat my breakfast during my first period planning. On the way through the office this morning I found out my interview was TODAY. I knew it would be either today or tomorrow, so I had made sure to look nice and professional. Except my hair was doing a bit of something wonky. But, it was in the back, so hopefully it wasn't too noticeable. :)
At 11am I met with the school superintendent and the upper elementary principal. The elementary school is so large they have two full time principals and an assistant principal. Coincidentally, I am the long term substitute for the upper elementary's wife while she is out on maternity leave.
The interview lasted 40 minutes and was fun. Is it really weird that I think interviews are fun, if not a bit nerve-wracking? Well, my interview for graduate school was SUPER scary and stressful, but ended up being just fine. Now, I just think they are kind of fun. You never know exactly what questions will be asked so there is a lot of thinking on one's feet and improvising. For some really strange, and nerdy reason, I thrive on that. I know that is odd. Really. Odd. I also like teaching. Note I wrote "teaching" and not "all the other stupid things teachers have to do." That is key. Anyway, I like teaching. So, talking about teaching is fun. And kids are funny, so talking about kids is fun. It was a good interview.
At the end of the interview we discussed possible placements for me next year. Although I was interested in a third grade position (one might open up) they really want me in fifth grade for a variety of reasons. Can I be honest with you all for a minute? I am TERRIFIED of fifth grade math. Remember what we all did in seventh grade math in the 90s? Well, welcome to the 21st century. They do that in FIFTH grade now!!! And, I haven't actually ever taught math. I can rock some language arts...but math???? I will become BEST friends with the math specialist and get lots of help! And, I am still scared. I have been working with the fourth grade team and really like them. All but one of them will be returning next year. So, I asked them to please do their best to place me in grade 4 if there is a suitable option for them to fill the fifth grade position with someone else. It is important to make one's wishes clear and known. Otherwise you just get pushed around.
Then we talked about contracts and money stuff. As of next fall, my income here will be tax free from US taxes. 2 years working at the school = a down payment on a house back in Virginia within a year, or so, of returning to the states.
I am kind of excited about being back in a classroom. It feels good to stretch my teaching muscles again. I do not look forward to learning how to balance a "real" job again with family and responsibilities again. That isn't fun. I think we are leaning toward hiring a maid to come 4 afternoons a week for cleaning and cooking. We live in a country that makes that an affordable option. So, we might just choose to use that means to a happier, more balanced family life.
I will keep you posted on all the upcoming news and placements.
At 11am I met with the school superintendent and the upper elementary principal. The elementary school is so large they have two full time principals and an assistant principal. Coincidentally, I am the long term substitute for the upper elementary's wife while she is out on maternity leave.
The interview lasted 40 minutes and was fun. Is it really weird that I think interviews are fun, if not a bit nerve-wracking? Well, my interview for graduate school was SUPER scary and stressful, but ended up being just fine. Now, I just think they are kind of fun. You never know exactly what questions will be asked so there is a lot of thinking on one's feet and improvising. For some really strange, and nerdy reason, I thrive on that. I know that is odd. Really. Odd. I also like teaching. Note I wrote "teaching" and not "all the other stupid things teachers have to do." That is key. Anyway, I like teaching. So, talking about teaching is fun. And kids are funny, so talking about kids is fun. It was a good interview.
At the end of the interview we discussed possible placements for me next year. Although I was interested in a third grade position (one might open up) they really want me in fifth grade for a variety of reasons. Can I be honest with you all for a minute? I am TERRIFIED of fifth grade math. Remember what we all did in seventh grade math in the 90s? Well, welcome to the 21st century. They do that in FIFTH grade now!!! And, I haven't actually ever taught math. I can rock some language arts...but math???? I will become BEST friends with the math specialist and get lots of help! And, I am still scared. I have been working with the fourth grade team and really like them. All but one of them will be returning next year. So, I asked them to please do their best to place me in grade 4 if there is a suitable option for them to fill the fifth grade position with someone else. It is important to make one's wishes clear and known. Otherwise you just get pushed around.
Then we talked about contracts and money stuff. As of next fall, my income here will be tax free from US taxes. 2 years working at the school = a down payment on a house back in Virginia within a year, or so, of returning to the states.
I am kind of excited about being back in a classroom. It feels good to stretch my teaching muscles again. I do not look forward to learning how to balance a "real" job again with family and responsibilities again. That isn't fun. I think we are leaning toward hiring a maid to come 4 afternoons a week for cleaning and cooking. We live in a country that makes that an affordable option. So, we might just choose to use that means to a happier, more balanced family life.
I will keep you posted on all the upcoming news and placements.
"teaching" and not "all the other stupid things teachers have to do." That is key.
ReplyDeletehee hee. SO TRUE! Although, I like some of the stupid things that teachers have to do. I look at the "hand holding" that I have to do with parents as an honor, because it means that the parents truly trust what I have to say, and that they respect me. I suppose that's why I get along so well with the kinds of parents at my school..... =)
So glad you have this opportunity!