I have a friend who has been diagnosed with cancer. She will, most likely, need a bone marrow transplant in the nearish future. She is already a survivor for so many reasons. She inspires me. When I think of her situation my heart is grieved. I pray. I pray some more. But, I am still grieved.
Her friends have been hosting drives to register people with the Bone Marrow Registry. All it takes is a swab of the cheek. If you turn out to be a match for someone then a procedure occurs and recovery follows. And a life might be saved.
I have NEVER before considered any type of donation. The thought of even checking the "organ donor" box on my driver's license has given me the creeps. I know that sounds silly, immature, and downright selfish. I also can't stand the thought of cremation. I know. I know.
But then Stacy was diagnosed with cancer. And then it felt so much more real- the sense of responsibility I have as a healthy woman to do my part. This isn't guilt as much as it is awareness.
Then I got a card in the mail from Stacy and her husband today. In it they asked friends and family to please register with the Bone Marrow Registry.
That's when I knew.
I WANT Stacy to find a match. I WANT Stacy to kick this cancer! And, for every "Stacy" needing a match there are friends and family wanting him/her to find a match too.
So I am doing research to see if I can register while living here in Kuwait. If I can, I plan to register. Just a cheek swab.
And, I ask you, please consider- or reconsider- joining the registry too. Thank you!
www.bethematch.org
Her friends have been hosting drives to register people with the Bone Marrow Registry. All it takes is a swab of the cheek. If you turn out to be a match for someone then a procedure occurs and recovery follows. And a life might be saved.
I have NEVER before considered any type of donation. The thought of even checking the "organ donor" box on my driver's license has given me the creeps. I know that sounds silly, immature, and downright selfish. I also can't stand the thought of cremation. I know. I know.
But then Stacy was diagnosed with cancer. And then it felt so much more real- the sense of responsibility I have as a healthy woman to do my part. This isn't guilt as much as it is awareness.
Then I got a card in the mail from Stacy and her husband today. In it they asked friends and family to please register with the Bone Marrow Registry.
That's when I knew.
I WANT Stacy to find a match. I WANT Stacy to kick this cancer! And, for every "Stacy" needing a match there are friends and family wanting him/her to find a match too.
So I am doing research to see if I can register while living here in Kuwait. If I can, I plan to register. Just a cheek swab.
And, I ask you, please consider- or reconsider- joining the registry too. Thank you!
www.bethematch.org
Brad and I joined the registry at a drive here in Missoula... easy, painless, and a great chance to make a huge difference to somebody!
ReplyDeleteGood for you for looking into it, especially if you're nervous :) Best wishes to your friend, may she please beat this cancer!!